First Presbyterian Church Papakura Google Street view trusted
First Presbyterian Church Papakura
The first Presbyterian service in the Papakura area was held at Fernaig, Duncan and Ann McLennan’s house, by the Reverends D Bruce and John Macky.
NorrieRev Thomas Norrie and Elizabeth Norrie sailed on the Joseph Fletcher from Gravesend for Auckland, via the Cape of Good Hope and arrived in Auckland on 17 October 1855. On Sunday 4th November 1855, weekly services were begun in Papakura in the small Wesleyan Chapel, and in Drury in various private homes. Wairoa (Clevedon), then Pukekohe East, then Waiuku, were visited and regular services begun, monthly in the case of the last two-named. But before long the Minister had visited and begun work also in Papakura Valley (Alfriston), Ramarama (Bombay), Pokeno and Mauku and even as far afield as Pollok and Awhitu in the west and Raglan in the south. All travelling was on horseback or on foot, with swamps to be skirted, rivers to be forded, and tracks to be sought, sometimes in densely-bushed country.
2 Coles Crescent, Papakura